Thank you for visiting UB UUP.org, the official web site of the United University Professionsals Buffalo Center Chapter at the University at Buffalo (hereinafter referred to as “UB UUP ” or “We”). Because We share your concern about privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy online, We have created this Privacy Statement to explain our information gathering and dissemination practices for this web site.
The type and amount of information received depends on how you use the site; you may provide (1) non-personal information that is collected on an aggregate basis from all users, OR (2) personal information you voluntarily choose to disclose through registering, filling out a form, or joining an e-mail list. UB UUP Members may be required to register, for validation purposes, to view or use specific member-only features and services. Users of public content are not required to register.
Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
If you do nothing during your visit but browse, read pages, or download information, our site's operating system will automatically record the following information about your visit without reference to your personal identity:
- The Internet domain for your Internet service, such as “xcompany.com;”
- The type of browser that you use (e.g., “AOL v7” or or “Microsoft IE 5”);
- The type of operating system that you use (e.g., Windows or Macintosh);
- The resolution of your computers display, and
- The date and time of your visit and the web pages that were viewed.
This information is used to help us diagnose technical problems, and track user interests so that We can provide content and special offers of interest to our sites' users. We gather this information in the aggregate – as a total, not linked to individual users – and We may share it with our affiliates, and certain other reputable entities that share our interests.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
UB UUP collects and uses personal information that you voluntarily provide for the purposes described below. By “personal information,” We mean information that, on its own, can specifically identify you. This includes your name, e-mail address, and member ID. Any information you provide is collected and stored by UB UUP.
1. Third Party Websites: UB UUP.org may link to third-party web sites in order to provide you with additional news and services (e.g., Web Links). This Privacy Statement applies only to UB UUP.org website(s) and does cover sites We may link to. These linked-sites will have their own policies and practices that may be different from ours. We therefore encourage you to familiarize yourself with the policies and practices of the linked-sites, especially if you provide personal information to them. UB UUP is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of those other sites.
2. E-mail Lists: If you choose to sign-up for one of our e-mail subscription lists, We ask for your e-mail address, and interest-preferences. We use this information to administer the e-mail lists and provide relevant content for your interests. We may share our e-mail lists with our affiliates and certain other reputable entities that share our interests.
3. Feedback and Other Contact Forms: From time to time, UB UUP may invite you to participate in surveys, polls, petitions, contests or other action-oriented type programs. Your opinion matters to UB UUP and We want your input. If you choose to participate in these activities, We may need to acquire additional personal information. Generally, UB UUP will only use aggregate statistics to produce survey or poll results. However, while We do not ordinarily share personal information that you provide to us on feedback and other contact forms with third parties, depending on the nature of these activities or reason(s) for your contact, it may be necessary to share personal information with third parties to comply with your request.
4. Legal Enforcement: UB UUP fully cooperates with law enforcement agencies in identifying those who use our services for illegal activities. We reserve the rights to release information about individuals who We believe are in violation of our content guidelines, and to report to law enforcement agencies any activities that We reasonably believe to be unlawful.
Special Notice For Parents
We are committed to protecting the privacy of children. You should be aware that this site is not intended or designed to attract children under the age of 13. Consistent with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, We will never knowingly request personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13 without prior verifiable parental consent.
Security: Online and Offline
This site has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. We use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption to protect the transmission of information you submit to us when you use our secure online forms. You are on a secure page when the lock icon on the bottom of Web browsers such as Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer become locked, as opposed to unlocked, or open, when you are just “surfing.” All the information you provide us through these forms is stored securely off-line, as defined by our Data Collection methods.
While We use SSL encryption to protect sensitive information online, We also protect user information off-line. All user information is restricted in our offices. Only employees who need information to perform a specific job (e.g., Field Services, Accounting, Information Technology & Member Records) are granted access to personally identifiable information. All employees are kept up-to-date on our security and privacy practices. Finally, the servers that store sensitive information are kept in a secure environment.
If you send us e-mail, you should know that e-mail is not necessarily secure against interception. So, if your communication regards sensitive information (e.g., your account numbers, charge card, private UB UUP Member Benefits nformation or social security numbers), please contact us by mail or by telephone rather than by e-mail.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, the information We have collected from you online, the practices of this site or your interaction with the web site, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you experience technical problems with the operation of this web site, contact us by e-mailing: email@example.com
Contact information for UB UUP is available at: http://wings.buffalo.edu/contact.html
Amendments and Consent to This Privacy Statement
As our web site evolves, our Privacy Statement will also undergo changes. We reserve the right, at our discretion, to make changes to this statement at any time. We encourage you to check our Privacy Statement periodically or when you notice new features on the web site. All amended terms are effective immediately upon posting. By using this site, you signify your agreement to this Privacy Statement and consent to the collection and use of your information by UB UUP as described herein.
Additional Steps you can take to protect your privacy and security
UB UUP.org makes every effort to protect your privacy and the security of any information that you provide to us. But We urge you to remember that privacy and security begin with you. You can help avoid cyber crime and identity theft, by being vigilant in maintaining the secrecy of any passwords, always use caution when disclosing information online, and make sure you log out of the site before closing you web browser. If you are accessing private information from a computer that is not completely under your control, do not use the “Remember Me” function.
This site is created and controlled by UB UUP in the State of New York . As such, the laws of the State of New York will govern this Privacy Statement, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of laws. You hereby irrevocably and unconditionally consent and agree that the Federal and State Courts located in New York County in the State of New York shall have exclusive jurisdiction over all actions and disputes in connection with this Privacy Statement or arising out of or relating to the use of this site.