Herbert J. Wechsler
National Criminal Law Moot Court Competition
Welcome to the Fifteenth Annual Herbert Wechsler National Criminal Law Moot Court Competition. This year's event will be hosted by SUNY Buffalo Law School on Saturday, March 23, 2013.
- 2013 Competition Registration Form (PDF)
- 2013 Wechsler Moot Court Problem (PDF)
- 2013 Invitation (PDF)
- Rules of the 2013 Herbert Wechsler National Criminal Law Moot Court Competition (PDF) (Updated January 22, 2013)
- First Round Questions and Answers (PDF) (Amended January 29, 2013)
- The competition will take place on March 23, 2013 at the Erie County Courthouse in Downtown Buffalo.
- The Welcome Reception for all teams will take place on the night of March 22 (location TBA). ALL TEAMS ARE REQUIRED TO ATTEND, as we will be drawing the first and second round pairings for the competition. Please plan your travel accordingly.
THE PROBLEM AND YOUR BRIEFS:
- The Problem is available here (PDF).
- Your Briefs must be postmarked by Monday, February 25, 2013.
- Each team will be assigned a team number randomly. Your briefs will be identified ONLY by your team number.
- PLEASE familiarize yourself with the competition and brief rules. The rules can be found here. If you have any questions regarding these rules, please contact Andrew (and see the question policy below).
In order to streamline the amount of emails we must respond to with questions about the briefs and the competition, we have instituted a question policy that will begin with two rounds of questioning. All questions that we receive will be answered together by email according to the following dates:
-1st round of questions: All questions are due to Andrew by Monday, January 21, 2013. Responses to these questions will be posted to this website and emailed out on Monday, January 28, 2013.
-2nd round of questions: All questions are due to Andrew by Monday, February 11, 2013. Responses to these questions will be posted to this website and emailed out on Monday, February 18, 2013.
We will keep you updated as to the dates when questions regarding oral arguments are due. After this second round of questions, any remaining questions will be answered at our discretion, so PLEASE adhere to the timetable set above. We are trying to make the process as efficient as possible and give the same information to all teams.
On March 22, 2013 we will be having are usual welcome reception and informational meeting. This year it will again be at Pearl Street Grill & Brewery, located at 76 Pearl Street, Buffalo, NY. It is within walking distance of the Adam's Mark Hotel (even by Buffalo weather standards). The reception begins at 7:00pm, and all teams must attend in order to get their Court Room assignments and competition pairings for the following morning. There will be buffet style "Buffalo food" served, along with free soft beverages from the bar. Cash bar is available for those brave enough. Anyone with any questions please feel free to email Andrew.
The awards ceremony/banquet will be held at the Adam's Mark Hotel in Buffalo. Teams are encouraged to reserve rooms at this hotel, as there is a special discounted rate they will receive when booking the rooms for the competition. We’ve chosen to work again with the Adam’s Mark to take advantage of their close location for traveling convenience to/from the Erie County Courthouse. If your team has a preference to stay at a different hotel, that is certainly permitted; however, we do not have a similar fee arrangement with other local hotels. Teams can and should start booking their reservations ASAP for the weekend of the competition.
For reservations or any additional questions about the hotel, the Adam's Mark phone number is (716) 845-5100. Please be sure to register in the “UB CRIMINAL LAW SOCEITY” Reserved Block, which will be held until February 22, 2013.