Herbert J. Wechsler
National Criminal Law Moot Court Competition
Welcome to the Thirteenth Annual Herbert Wechsler National Criminal Law Moot Court Competition. This year's event will be hosted by the University at Buffalo Law School on Saturday, April 2, 2011.
- 2011 Competition Registration Form(PDF)
- Rules of the 2011 Herbert Wechsler National Criminal Law Moot Court Competition(PDF)
- 2011 Wechsler Moot Court Problem(PDF) (Amended January 28, 2011)
- First Round Questions and Answers(PDF) (Posted January 28, 2011)
- Second Round Questions and Answers(PDF) (Posted Febuary 11, 2011)
- Third Round Questions and Answers(PDF) (Posted Febuary 25, 2011)
- The competition will take place on April 2, 2011 in Downtown Buffalo.
- The Welcome Reception for all teams will take place on the night of April 1 (location TBA). ALL TEAMS ARE REQUIRED TO ATTEND because this is where we will announce the first round pairings for the competition the next day. Please plan your travel accordingly (see Hotel Arrangements below).
THE PROBLEM AND YOUR BRIEFS:
- The Problem is available here(PDF) (Amended: 01/28/11).
- Your Briefs must be postmarked by Friday, March 4, 2011.
- Each team will be assigned a team number randomly. Your briefs will be identified ONLY by your team number.
- PLEASE familiarize yourself with the competition and brief rules. The rules can be found here (Revised 10/05/10). If you have any questions regarding these rules, please contact Andrew (and see the question policy below).
In order to streamline the amount of emails we must respond to with questions about the briefs and the competition, we have instituted a question policy that will begin with two rounds of questioning. All questions that we receive will be answered together by email according to the following dates:
-1st round of questions: All questions are due to Andrew by Monday, January 24, 2011. Responses to these questions will be posted to this website and emailed out on Friday, January 28, 2011.
-2nd round of questions: All questions are due to Andrew by February 7, 2011. Responses to these questions will be posted to this website and emailed out on February 11, 2011.
-3rd round of questions: ALL REMAINING QUESTIONS FOR THE BRIEF are due to Andrew by February 21, 2011. Responses to these questions will be posted to this website and emailed out on February 25, 2011.
We will keep you updated as to the dates when questions regarding oral arguments are due. After this second round of questions, any remaining questions will be answered at our discretion, so PLEASE adhere to the timetable set above. We are trying to make the process as efficient as possible and give the same information to all teams.
The awards ceremony/banquet will be held at the Adam's Mark Hotel in Buffalo. Teams are encouraged to reserve rooms at this hotel, as there is a "special rate" they will receive when booking the rooms for the competition. If your team has a preference to stay at a different hotel, that is certainly permitted; however, we do not have a similar fee arrangement with other local hotels. In addition, the Adam's Mark is within walking distance to the courthouse, where the rounds will be held. Teams can and should start booking their reservations ASAP for the weekend of the competition.
The "special rate" for the teams will be $117.00 per night for a Single/Double/Triple/Quadruple occupancy on the dates Thursday, March 31, 2011 - Sunday, April 3, 2011. This rate will only be available until 2/17/2011 (Six Weeks Prior to the Competition). When making your reservations, please be sure to mention you are booking for the UB Criminal Law Society in order to receive this special rate. NOTE: There are a limited number of rooms available at this rate, so availability is on a first come, first serve basis. Thus, teams are encouraged to book their rooms sooner rather than later.
For reservations or any additional questions about the hotel, the Adam's Mark phone number is