For New Students

Frequently Asked Questions for
New Undergraduate Students


U.S. Visa Delays

  1. Can you write a letter to speed up the processing of my U.S. visa application?
    Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to expedite the processing of your visa application. Officers in U.S. Embassies and Consulates have asked universities not to send letters regarding students' visa applications. The reason is that the Consulates are inundated with paperwork and do not have sufficient staff or time to process such letters.

Bringing Money to the U.S.

  1. How much money can I bring into the U.S.?
    If you plan to bring money (e.g. cash, money order, certified check, travelers’ checks, letter of credit) into the U.S., please note the following from the Customs & Border Protection (CBP) website:
    “Travelers leaving or entering the U.S. are required to report monetary instruments (ie. currency or checks) valued at $10,000 or more on a "Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments" form FinCEN 105” (available at  or from a CBP officer). “Failure to declare currency in amounts over $10,000 can result in its seizure.”

    Please Note:
    • We do not recommend that you carry large sums of cash when you come to the U.S. Please bring a money card or travelers’ checks instead.
    • Do not assume that you can multiply $10,000 by the number of people in your group and bring in that amount of money. The border officer will try to determine to whom the money really belongs. If s/he determines that it belongs to one person, s/he will seize it if the amount exceeds $10,000.
    • Never make false statements to a border officer about money or anything else. The penalty for making false statements to border officers is very severe, including a fine and up to two years of imprisonment.
    • If you do not follow the above-mentioned advice and your money is seized, we advise you not to fill out any forms to request that the money be returned to you. To file a request that will be approved by Customs & Border Protection requires in-depth knowledge of the relevant regulations and the way that such requests are adjudicated. For these reasons, it is much better to hire an attorney to help you get your money back
  1. How much money will I need during my first year at UB?
    You can find the Estimated Cost of Attendance for your degree program at

Late Arrival

  1. I wasn't able to get a a flight to arrive in time for Orientation Check-In.  Cna I join International Student Orientation late?
    Although we don’t recommend it, you can join International Student Orientation late. We will have a Late Arrivals table, where students who were delayed in coming to Buffalo can check in for the orientation program. However, since the orientation schedule is quite full, we urge you to come as soon as you can so you don’t miss too much.

    Please note that the mandatory "Immigration Session" and 'University Police Session" will be held on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 from 3:00-5:00 p.m. If you miss those sessions, your course registration will be delayed.

Orientation Attendance

  1. Do I have to attend International Student Orientation?
    International Student Orientation is not mandatory, but you will be disadvantaged if you don’t attend it. The orientation sessions were designed to prevent problems experienced by previous UB international students and to provide “one-stop shopping” for the things you need to start your life in Buffalo (e.g. immunizations, University ID card, computer account, bank account, cell phone account, Social Security Card, etc.). Attendance at International Student Orientation will save you the trouble of getting those things on your own.

    The orientation sessions are also extremely practical, helpful and important. If you don’t attend them, you will miss the helpful information and valuable tips provided and have to find them out on your own. Last, attendance at certain orientation sessions is necessary for course registration, applying for a Social Security Card, etc.

  2. I’m a U.S. Citizen (or Lawful Permanent Resident) who grew up outside the U.S. Can I attend International Student Orientation even though I’m not an international student?
    Yes, you can. You will find International Student Orientation extremely helpful.

  3. I’m transferring from another U.S. university. Do I have to attend International Student Orientation?
    Although you have already studied in the U.S., you are new to the University at Buffalo. All U.S. universities have their own procedures, policies and services so your prior experience will not help you at UB as much you think. For this reason, we strongly urge you to attend International Student Orientation at UB.

  4. How much does participation in International Student Orientation cost?
    The cost of the orientation program is expected to be $125.  The orientation fee includes all services except the trip to Niagara Falls (offered only during the fall orientation), which costs extra.

Orientation Check-In

  1. What happens if I miss Orientation Check-In?
    Orientation Check-In will take place on Tuesday, August 25 between 9:00 and 2:00 p.m. in the Student Union. If you miss Orientation Check-In, you will have to go to the Late Arrivals Table outside Talbert Hall 210 early on Tuesday morning.

On-Campus Housing

Deciding where to live is one of the most important decisions you will make!  To help you decide, read Living On-Campus vs. Off-Campus (207 KB).

  1. I reserved a room in the residence hall. Can I stay there during International Student Orientation? If so, how soon can I move in?
    Although University residence halls don’t officially open for new students until August 27, 2015, international students who will attend International Student Orientation and who have made arrangements to live on campus will be permitted to check in to their on-campus housing starting on Friday, August 21 from 2:00-8:00 p.m. No check-ins will be permitted before August 21. Residence hall students may incur a $35 per night early arrival charge, depending on their actual housing assignment.  The charge will be billed directly to your student account.

    If you choose to stay in the residence halls during International Student Orientation, be aware that the halls will not be officially open and, therefore, there will be few students staying there and limited residence hall staff to assist you. You should also be aware that, once you check in to your on-campus housing, you are contractually obligated to rent it for the entire academic year. Housing contracts are typically broken only if the student leaves the University at Buffalo.
  1. I reserved a room in the residence hall, but have not received my housing assignment. When should I expect to receive it? What should I do if I have not received it by that date?
    If you do not receive your housing information by the beginning of August, feel free to contact the Housing Office by telephone at (716) 645-2171, by e-mail at or by fax at (716) 645-3968.
  1. I reserved a room in the residence hall, but have changed my mind. Can I cancel my reservation and get my deposit back?
    The deadline to cancel on-campus room assignments is July 1, 2015. After July 1, 2015, you will not be released from your Housing Agreement unless you choose not to attend UB during the Fall 2015 semester.  Please do not sign a lease for an off-campus apartment after July 1, 2015 as you will not be released from your Housing Agreement.

Temporary Housing

  1. I will need a place to stay while I look for off-campus housing after I arrive in Buffalo. Is there temporary housing for new students?
    Unfortunately, there is no temporary housing for new students. Therefore, you should make temporary housing arrangements prior to your arrival in Buffalo. We do not recommend arriving on campus with lots of luggage and no place to spend the night as it is very difficult to find permanent housing in one day.

    Should you need temporary accommodations prior to August 21 or during International Student Orientation, your temporary housing options include staying in a hotel or with a friend, relative or UB student.

    The hotels listed below are located near UB's North Campus. The prices listed are subject to change.

    10 Flint Road
    Amherst, NY 14226
    Tel. (716) 689-4414
    $108 (UB Rate)


    1 Flint Road

    Amherst, NY 14226

    Tel. (716) 688-0811 or 1-800-800-8000

    $74.99 and up – Free shuttle service from Buffalo airport

    42 Flint Road
    Amherst, NY 14226
    Tel. (716) 689-7474
    $49.29 and up


    2402 North Forest Road

    Getzville, NY 14068

    Tel. (716) 636-7500

    $79-$89 (UB Rate)

    For a more complete list of Buffalo area hotels, click here

    There is also a hostel in downtown Buffalo, which is some distance from UB's North and South Campuses.  For more information, visit

    A list of international clubs that provide assistance to new students is available on our website at

Off-Campus Housing

Deciding where to live is one of the most important decisions you will make!  To help you decide, read Living On-Campus vs. Off-Campus (207 KB).

  1. How can I find off-campus housing?
    For detailed information about finding off-campus housing, please visit Off-Campus Housing.

Health History & Immunization Form

  1. When and where should I mail my Health Background and Immunization Forms?
    You should complete and return your UB Health Background and Immunization Forms to UB Student Health Services.  We recommend that you send the forms via Fax (716-829-2564), regular Air Mail or Express Courier (Attention: Susan Snyder) as soon as possible to the Student Health Center.  If you submit them in time, you may be able to register for your classes before coming to Buffalo.

    Note:  Since Student Health Services does not send confirmation that they received the forms, you may wish to submit them via Fax or Express Courier since both services provide confirmation of delivery.

    The Student Health Center's mailing address is:

    Student Health Services
    University at Buffalo
    Michael Hall
    3435 Main Street
    Buffalo, N.Y. 14214

    Note: Please DO NOT return the forms to the International Admissions office. Also, scanned copies and e-mail attachments are not permitted.

    If you are unable to complete all of your immunizations in your country, Student Health Services will assist you in obtaining the immunizations, but this will delay your class registration and you may not get the classes you want.

Bill Payment

  1. Can I pay my tuition and fees by wire transfer? If so, how can I do it?
    Yes, you can. Please contact the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (Tel. 716-645-2258, for instructions.

  2. How else can I pay my bill?
    Please visit to learn about the various methods of paying your University bill.

University ID Card & Temporary Password

  1. How can I get my University ID Card (UB Card) and temporary password?
    You can get your UB Card and single-use password at Orientation Check-In.

IS Hold

  1. What is an IS Hold and why do I have one?
    A hold on a UB student's account may prevent the student from registering for classes, receiving grades or transcripts, etc. Students receive a hold when action is required on their part.

    Every new international student has an IS Hold on his/her account. This ensures that the student attends the Immigration Session and University Police Session at International Student Orientation. Once you attend these sessions, your IS Hold will be removed and you will be able to register for classes.

Course Registration

  1. When can I register for my classes?
    You can register for classes beginning on Wednesday, August 26, 2015.  REMEMBER: You must submit completed UB Health Background and Immunizations Forms, receive certain immunizations (if required) and attend the Immigration Session and University Police Session before you can register for classes.  However, if you submit the Health Background and Immunization Forms in time, you may be able to register for classes before coming to Buffalo.


  1. Can I work?
    F-1 international students are eligible to work on-campus without special authorization. J-1 international students are also eligible to work on-campus, but need a letter from the Office of International Student & Scholar Services authorizing such employment.
  1. How can I find an on-campus job?
    To learn how to find an on-campus job, we suggest that you attend the On-Campus Employment session during International Student Orientation.

Social Security Card

  1. How, when and where can I get a Social Security Card?
    In order to apply for a Social Security Card, F-1 international students must have written job offers. If you have a written job offer, then please attend one of the Social Security Card information sessions during International Student Orientation.  Note:  If you are a J-1 student, you do not need a written job offer to apply for a Social Security Card.