Life in Buffalo

Patient wit Doctor

Health Insurance for Visiting Scholars & Student Interns

Health care costs in the U.S. are very expensive and could easily overwhelm a scholar or intern on a limited budget. Therefore, the U.S. Department of State and the State University of New York (SUNY) require all Exchange Visitors and their dependents in the U.S. to have sickness and accident insurance, and medical evacuation and repatriation insurance in effect for the duration of their Exchange Visitor status.

The health insurance plan for international students and scholars offered by SUNY meets the minimum coverage requirements. You will be required to enroll in and purchase this policy unless you can provide proof of comparable coverage through another plan.

If I am employed by the University at Buffalo, must I enroll in the SUNY health insurance plan for international students and scholars?

If you have a University appointment, you may be enrolled in a health insurance plan as a benefit of your employment. The University will pay a portion of the cost for your (and your dependents’) coverage, but you will also be responsible for a portion of the cost. In addition, you will be required to purchase additional coverage to pay for medical evacuation and repatriation.

What are the specifics of SUNY’s health insurance plan for international students and scholars?

How do I enroll in and purchase the SUNY health insurance plan for international students and scholars?

Complete the Enrollment Form for International Student Health Insurance, and submit it along with payment to UB's Student Medical Insurance Office, 223 Student Union, North Campus.

Where will I be able to see doctors?

You may choose your own doctors, but we recommend that you sign up to use the services of UB’s Student Health Center. UB’s Student Health Center has special arrangements allowing visiting scholars and interns to utilize their services for a fee. We recommend this because UB’s Student Health Center is conveniently located (Michael Hall, South Campus) and use of the Student Health Center enables you to waive the $50 health insurance deductible, which you will be responsible for if you choose to see other doctors. The fee to enroll is $144.75 per semester (Spring: January 1 - May 31 and Fall: August 11 - December 31) and $57 for the summer (June 1 - August 10).

Please contact the Student Health Center for more information about these services. Be sure to tell them that you are an “International Scholar".

NOTE: Use of the services provided by the Student Health Center is optional and not required in order to use the SUNY health insurance plan for international students and scholars.  The services available at the Student Health Center are not a substitute for the SUNY health insurance requirement and are not an insurance policy of any sort.

What about my dependents?

You must purchase health insurance for your dependents. If your family does not accompany you, but plans to join you in the U.S. at a later date, health insurance must be purchased for them upon their arrival. The Dependent Medical Insurance Enrollment Form may be downloaded or picked up in UB's Student Medical Insurance Office, Student Union 223, North Campus.  You will then need to complete and mail it to the health insurance company. The premium for a spouse is $204.60 per month and the premium for children is $110.20 per month.  For further information about coverage for dependents, please read SUNY Dependent Medical Coverage.

What if I have other health insurance?

If you wish to use a different health insurance plan, you must have your alternate policy reviewed to make sure it meets and/or exceeds the U.S. Department of State's and SUNY's minimum requirements. You will only be permitted a waiver of the cost of the SUNY health insurance if your policy matches or exceeds SUNY minimum requirements and is approved by UB's Medical Insurance Office. 

NOTE: SUNY requires you to have medical evacuation and repatriation insurance.  Therefore, even if you are able to waive the basic SUNY health insurance, you will have to purchase the SUNY medical evacuation and repatriation insurance (MEDEX) unless you already have such coverage.  (Medical evacuation insurance pays for you to be transported to the nearest medical facility or your home country in case of serious illness or injury.  Repatriation insurance pays for your remains to be transported to your home country in case of death.)

To have your policy reviewed, please complete the International Health Insurance Waiver Form and submit it directly to the Student Medical Insurance Office.

Student Medical Insurance Office
Student Union 223
University at Buffalo
Buffalo , N.Y. 14260
Tel: (716) 645-3036
Fax: (716) 645-3465