For New Students
International Student Fee
In light of the rapidly increasing international enrollment at UB and the growing costs of providing services to support our international students, the Provost has authorized, and SUNY System Administration has approved, a new International Student Fee payable by all matriculated (degree-seeking) international students at the university. Beginning in the Spring 2011 semester, matriculated (degree-seeking) international students will be required to pay a fee of $100 each semester they are enrolled at UB.
Some students will be automatically exempted from the International Student Fee. These groups are:
- non-matriculated students
- students in the non-credit Intensive English Program of UB's English Language Institute
- junior high and high school students in UB's Gifted Math Program
- exchange students from UB’s institutional partners overseas
- students who are authorized by the University to spend the entire semester outside the U.S.
- individuals who are on a University at Buffalo-sponsored employee visa that is obtained through UB’s Office of Immigration Services (Note: Dependents of such individuals are also exempt from paying the International Student Fee.)
- students who drop all classes by the published liability deadline for University fees
Note: This is currently the end of the first week of classes. A calendar of liability dates is available at: http://studentaccounts.buffalo.edu/deadlines/index.php
- students who are in or change their status to one of the following immigration categories
Note: This status must be reflected in University records.
If you believe you were charged the International Student Fee in error, you can submit an International Student Fee Exemption Request Form to ISSS, 210 Talbert Hall, North Campus. The deadline for submitting a request is 5:00 p.m. on Friday of the fourth week of classes of the fall or spring semester. Note: Only requests relating to the exemptions above will be considered.