Life in Buffalo
Driving in New York State and Car Registration
Information for International Students, Scholars & Employees
What do I need to know to register my car in New York State?
- Your must register your car with the DMV each year.
- There is a fee for car registration.
- There are six items needed to register your vehicle:1) Proof of ownership, 2) Proof of NYS Sales Tax payment, 3) Proof of automobile liability insurance, 4) Form MV-82 (Registration/Title application - this form can be found on the DMV website), 5) Proof of applicant/registrant identity and birth date and 6) Sales tax and fee payment receipt. Please see the New York State DMV website for additional instructions
More Important Information
- Driving while intoxicated (“DWI”) is a very serious crime in New York State.
- Cell Phones: In New York State, you must have a “hands-free device” to use your cell phone in the car.
- Seat Belts: You must always wear your seat belt — it's the Law!
- Know what to do if you get pulled over by the police. For more information, pick up the brochure "What To Do When Stopped By the Police" in ISSS, Talbert Hall 210.