Life in Buffalo
Driving in New York State: Car Registration
What do I need to know to register my car in New York State?
- You must register your car with the DMV every two years
- There is a fee for the car registration.
- There are six items needed to register your vehicle: 1) Proof of ownership, 2) Proof of NYS sales tax payment, 3) Proof of automobile liability insurance, 4) Completed E-ZVisit Form MV-82EZV, 5) Proof of applicant identity and birth date (the 6 points of identification, and 6) Sales tax and fee payment receipt. Please see the NYS DMV website for additional instructions.
More Important Information
- Driving while intoxicated (“DWI”) is a very serious crime in New York State.
- NYS law requires a “hands-free device” to use your cell phone in the car.
- Texting while driving is against the law!
- You must always wear your seat belt — it's the Law!
- Know what to do if you get pulled over by the police. For more information, pick up the brochure "What To Do When Stopped By the Police" in ISSS, Talbert Hall 210 or read this brochure.