Life in Buffalo
Driving in New York State: Buying a Car
Buying a Car
Where can I get information about buying a car?
Are there any tips regarding buying a used car?
- Get information about the market value of a used car at www.kbb.com or www.nyaaa.com
- Take the car for a test drive
- Have the car inspected by a reliable mechanic or AAA-approved repair shop before agreeing to buy it
- Be sure to get a receipt
- Get the “title” for the vehicle
- Be aware of New York State 's “Lemon Laws”:
NYS' new and used car lemon laws provide legal solutions for consumers who buy or lease cars. If a car does not live up to the written warranty and cannot be repaired--or if it has not been repaired correctly after a reasonable number of attempts--the consumer could receive a refund or replacement car.
For information and assistance concerning New York 's Lemon Laws, visit www.ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/new-car-lemon-law-fact-sheet or www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/automotive-law/lemon-law.php.
More Important Information
- Driving while intoxicated (“DWI”) is a very serious crime in New York State.
- NYS law requires a “hands-free device” to use your cell phone in the car.
- Texting while driving is against the law!
- You must always wear your seat belt — it's the Law!
- Know what to do if you get pulled over by the police. For more information, visit www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/enforce/WhatHappensEnglish.pdf or pick up the brochure "What To Do When Stopped By the Police" in ISSS, Talbert Hall 210.